U.S. President Donald Trump escalated his immigration rhetoric on Thursday following the fatal shooting of two National Guard members near the White House an attack authorities linked to an Afghan national. His statements, made through a pair of late-night Truth Social posts, outlined sweeping new proposals aimed at restricting immigration and tightening federal oversight of noncitizens.
The president said he intends to “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries” to allow the U.S. immigration system to “fully recover.” Trump did not specify which nations fall under the term, which has traditionally referred to countries facing economic instability or higher poverty levels.
His remarks came shortly after Sarah Beckstrom, one of the two National Guard troops shot near the White House on Wednesday, died from her injuries. The second soldier remains in critical condition. During a Thanksgiving Day call from Mar-a-Lago, Trump described Beckstrom’s death as “a heartbreaking loss” and said the nation is praying for the surviving guard member who is “fighting for his life.”
Sweeping Immigration Measures Outlined
In his posts, Trump said he would reverse “millions” of immigration admissions made under the Biden administration and remove any individual he deemed not contributing positively to the country.
He detailed additional actions, including:
- Ending all federal benefits and subsidies for noncitizens
- “Denaturalizing” migrants who he claims undermine domestic tranquility
- Deporting any foreign national considered a public charge, security risk, or “not compatible with Western Civilization”
The president also reiterated plans to increase enforcement measures and accelerate removals under his broader immigration agenda, which has intensified since his return to the White House earlier this year.
Federal Agencies Respond
Hours after the shooting, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Joseph Edlow said that the agency would begin reviewing Green Card holders from “countries of concern.” USCIS also announced the immediate and indefinite suspension of all immigration requests involving Afghan nationals.
This follows a series of earlier immigration actions by the Trump administration. In June 2025, the White House issued a travel ban affecting immigrants from 19 countries, including Afghanistan.
Context and Political Reactions
The attack near the White House has renewed debates around immigration policy, national security, and federal vetting procedures. Lawmakers on Capitol Hill are expected to respond with briefings and investigations as more details emerge.
Trump’s proposed measures represent one of the most expansive immigration tightening efforts since he first took office in 2017, signaling what analysts describe as a more aggressive and sweeping phase of his second-term agenda.
